On Saturday, February 8th, 2020 you will find yourself in a simulated battle of medieval Samurai warriors, standing face-to-face with your greatest enemy — or your greatest possible ally — yourself.
Through non-violent / non-contact battles of commitment, integrity, mental stamina, and physical endurance you’ll discover what your automatic responses are when you are put in circumstances that call upon you to move decisively into the unknown.
As a result of your participation you will increase your capacity to:
- Make and fulfill on inspiring commitments
- Lead, whether you are the designated leader or a dedicated follower
- Maximize your integrity and honor, in all areas of your life
- Generate decisive team actions, and then adjust based on the results you generate
- Stand powerfully in your own dignity
- Take pleasure in facing challenging circumstances
- Release judgments that are limiting your relationships and possibilities
- 8:30am – Sign in and have a breakfast snack
- 9:00am – Gameday begins
- Mid-day – We’ll enjoy lunch together (bring a sack lunch to enjoy!)
- 6:00pm – Conclusion of the day
- (optional) – Dinner at nearby restaurant, where you can bask in the glory of battle and empowerment with your fellow warriors
301 Village Ave.
Yorktown, VA 23693
What to Bring:
Layered, casual, comfortable clothing (skirts and dresses NOT recommended)
A sack lunch
A journal and a pen
Your integrity and your courage
How to Play
The Samurai Game® is an intense and challenging simulation that has been called the most effective 1-day* personal development experience in the world.
In the game, participants take on the role of medieval Japanese samurai. There are two armies, and based on the game-play of the armies’ warriors, one army will win and one will lose. Regardless of which army you are on, it is possible that you will “die” in the game. Death may even be your greatest teacher.
The game is played with very little specialized equipment, and with an extraordinary amount of personal commitment and integrity. While there is very little physical contact, the game compellingly invites each participant to engage their opponents with fierce courage and absolute honor. In the process, participants face their own beliefs about dignity, compassion, sacrifice, leadership, decision-making, and being on a team.
The rest of the rules will be explained when you play.
Background and History
The Samurai Game® was created by George Leonard, who is considered one of the fathers of the human potential movement. George is the author of The Ultimate Athlete, Mastery, Education and Ecstasy, The Silent Pulse, and eight other books.
Mr. Leonard was an Army Air Corps combat pilot in WWII and he was a combat pilot in the Korean War. Many years after his days in combat he attended a reunion with some of his old war buddies. They talked about combat, and how vivid and exhilarating it all was — and almost to a person his buddies said they had not been as alive since. This bothered him. Yes, combat had been extremely alive for him, but his life following the war was equally alive. He wondered why it was that his comrades had lost touch with life to such a degree. This motivated his exploration of the vividness of life in non-combat settings.
This exploration, paired with George’s loves of writing, the martial art of Aikido, and personal development, came together as he was walking to the dojo one day years later . . . he had found a way to re-capture the heightened sense of being alive, while simultaneously taking huge steps in self-ownership, leadership, and honor. The Samurai Game® was born.
The Inspired Action Network’s founder Brennan Smith is one of approximately 30 facilitators in the US authorized by the George Leonard family to run The Samurai Game (there are fewer than 100 facilitators certified world-wide).
Through his online audio programs, his private clients, his book “The Art of Inspired Action,” and his Huffington Post columns on the subjects of leadership and personal transformation, Brennan has improved the lives of over 250,000 people. He is a Founding Member of the Association of Transformational Leaders, and the Director of Government Services for Sage Alliance Partners, a leadership development firm in California.
Brennan was also the original owner of ESCAPE Newport News here in Yorktown, which he sold to Zenith Virtual Reality in Oct 2018.
* We frequently create 1-day, 2-day, and 3-day workshops with The Samurai Game® as the focal experience. The context for these retreat workshops is custom-designed around your organizational needs, but what is universal is how deeply engaged your team members are with that context due to our specialization in experiential leadership development. Skip the PowerPoint, and jump into leadership with your team. Let’s talk.
THIS SEMINAR/WORKSHOP/PROGRAM CONTAINS
THE SAMURAI GAME®
A Copyrighted Simulation Owned By The Leonard Family Trust
© 1977 George Leonard
# TXu 1-626-797
International Copyright Secured. All Rights Reserved
The trade name “The Samurai Game” holds
US Trademark Registration #2,630,801